The Methodist Theological University,
the earliest school of theological education in Korea.
Christian Psychology & Counseling Major
A Good Samaritan serving as the salt and light of the world
through professional psychotherapy
Disciples of Jesus Christ who practice healing, recovery,
and service at a specialized youth counseling institution
Gifted Christians who will engage and practice holistic multigenerational
caring practices for individuals, families, and communities
Christian Psychology &
Introduction of Major
Establishment of Christian Psychology and Counseling Major
1stMTU expands the horizons of counseling ministry amidst the changes created by the ongoing pandemic and changes in social phenomena
We are collectively experiencing an unprecedented level of alienation and suffering created by the pandemic within a modernized society driven by materialism. In such times, there is a clear need for cure of soul, healing, recovery, and growth. The Methodist Theological University (MTU) is committed to responding to this crisis by increasing the reach of counseling ministry grounded in our history and expertise in pastoral counseling.
2ndMTU has a tradition and history of producing professional counselors
Ever since our first pastoral counseling course in 1958, MTU has proudly educated and supported pastoral counselors, ministers, and professors who have committed their lives to bring comfort and healing to their communities. While the traditional pastoral counseling for the master’s and doctoral program curricula were focused on pastoral care within the church, MTU is broadening our reach by establishing a pastoral counseling program for undergraduate students.
3rdMTU nurtures experts in Christian psychology & counseling
We are calling upon good Samaritans, who have a calling to be the light and salt of the world during a time of crisis, to become psychological counseling experts who minister to suffering souls.
Christian Psychology & Counseling Major Curriculum and Expectations
The newly established Christian Psychology & Counseling Major will teach students skills to nurture their holistic healing skills to bring restoration of God’s image in their lives. Moreover, they will be mentored on how to pursue their self-identity in faith while practicing the love of Jesus Christ within the community. This major seeks to help students not only attain an official Christian Counseling Qualification but also a National Counseling Qualification (Clinical Youth Counselor Level III, Psychology Practitioner Level II) so that our graduates will be able to work as counselors in both social and Christian organizations.
2ndExpectations after Graduation
This newest major will cultivate pastoral care counselors who can respond to crises by saving lives, practicing love, and building the Kingdom of God on earth during crisis. Through empathy, healing, recovery, and service, our students will truly become light in our dark world by working. Such training will open doors to various youth organizations/centers, social welfare organizations, private counseling centers, churches, and various church organizations.
Employment and Careers for Christian Psychology & Counseling Majors
Christian Psychological Counseling majors can take required courses to obtain national certifications Clinical Youth Counselor Level III, Psychology Practitioner Level II 2) and Christian psychology & counseling certifications (Pastoral Counselor Level II, Christian Professional Counseling Psychology Professional Counselor Level 3.
Starting in 1968, MTU has had a long and prestigious history of teaching Christian psychology and counseling courses for over 60 years
This academic major aims to nurture holistic healers who can work as the salt and light of the world through restoring the image of God, caring for the wellbeing of youths, and committing their lives to practice holistic multigenerational caring practices.
The fields of psychology and counseling will enable our disciples to save individual souls and practice social sanctification towards individuals, families, churches, societies, and nations.
Students will be exposed to a wide range of courses such as the examples listed below.
- Basic theology classes to lay the biblical and theological foundation from a Christian perspective
- Interactive small group spiritual training to gain a Christian psychological counseling perspective
- Counseling classes geared towards youth ministers
- Theory and practice classes for group counseling
- Classes integrating spirituality and counseling
- Research courses about how to prevent violence and abuse of power while supporting the victims
- Classes about healthy development and growth for middle-aged to elderly individuals
- Graduates of this program will be equipped with the skills and experience to work in diverse roles from church ministers to counselors/employees at various youth organizations. Moreover, they will be able to pursue additional training at graduate school to become a counseling expert, focus on specific research interests or go to seminary to become a pastor. Such avenues will strengthen their competencies for further work as counselors, hospital chaplains, and professors.
- Church education evangelist
- Church counseling ministry
- Graduate school admission
- Study abroad
- Counselor for youths (city/provincial youth counseling center, city/province youth counseling center, youth training center, youth culture center, social welfare center, youth shelter, youth-related welfare facility, Christian counseling center)
- psychological test instructor
- Private counseling center business